This was the perfect cold weather salad! I love the flavors and texture of having a raw kale salad and then cooking up the toppings. It’s healthy comfort food that fuels your soul!
In this recipe, I used balsamic reduction and balsamic vinaigrette. The vinaigrette will be used to cook the tempeh and the reduction was drizzled on top of the whole salad. I really liked the thick texture and rich flavor and rich flavor of the reduction, but if you don’t have it you can just mix some vinaigrette and olive oil together for dressing.
Here is the balsamic reduction that I like. I bought mine at Whole Foods.
I love mushrooms, but they can sometimes be a little bit tricky to cook because they are surprisingly watery! In this recipe, I like the mushrooms to be a little bit crispy. There are a few tricks to this. Do not cover the mushrooms while they are cooking. Also, heat the oil BEFORE you put the mushrooms in. Add a little bit of salt. The last thing- keep the heat on medium high to high heat. This will depend on your stove so use your judgment, but if you think they are crisping a little too fast turn it down or if the water is collecting too much turn it up. The water should evaporate if you have the heat at the right temperature.
Balsalmic Tempeh and Sweet Potato SaladPrint
- Balsamic Reduction
- Olive Oil
- Balsalmic Vinaigrette
- 1 Bunch of Kale
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1/2 of a Cucumber
- Cut the sweet potatoes in cubes, with the skin on. Fry them up in a pan with a little oil, salt, and pepper. If you would prefer to have them baked, start about an hour ahead or make them the day before and use the sweet potatoes as a leftover. They will be just as good!
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking keep working on the other ingredients. Slice the mushrooms and set them aside.
- Slice the tempeh and set aside.
- De-stem and chop the kale. Put it in a big bowl and drizzle about a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil on it. Use your hands to massage the kale- mixing the oil and massaging it into the kale. This will green up the kale and make it much more tender than if you leave it unmassaged.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive or avocado oil in a frying pan. Once it is hot put the mushrooms in on medium high heat. Sprinkle them with a little bit of sea salt. This will help them caramelize. Stir them occasionally, but let them cook and get a little bit crispy.
- While the mushrooms and sweet potatoes are cooking start the tempeh. Just like you started the mushrooms put oil in the bottom of the pan for the tempeh. Sprinkle a little balsamic in too. Don’t add too much oil right away, because it will work best to keep adding it. This should also on medium-high to high heat. Occasionally flip the tempeh and as the oil and balsamic soak in add more. Cook this until it is browned and a little crispy.
- While these are cooking slice the cucumber.
- Once everything is cooked, arrange it in a bowl or on a plate however you like!
- Lightly drizzle with balsamic reduction and enjoy!