a vegan brunch hash
Does anyone else LOVE having hash for breakfast?!
I started making Millet Breakfast Hash a few weeks ago and ever since I’ve been obsessed! I love going out for brunch, but finding a vegan-friendly brunch place isn’t always easy. Sometimes the choices are limited and you can’t get the breakfast that you want, so to fill the brunch craving I’ve been making restaurant worthy breakfast at home! I have made this vegan brunch hash for friends and it has been a hit!
You might ask… why millet?
Rather than quinoa, buckwheat, or oats, I have begun substituting for millet. Millet is a similar grain, but your gut digests it better than other grains. I really like and encourage you to try it as well! It cooks like quinoa or oats, but you have more control over the texture of millet. I prefer to keep it firm like quinoa, but it can also cook down to make a delicious breakfast porridge.
This is my basic Millet Breakfast Hash recipe, but I’m always making variations based on what I have in the fridge. Feel free to make changes as well! If you have other vegetables to use or want to use spinach rather than kale you are welcome too. You really can’t go wrong. I like using leftovers on my millet bowls….sofritas, beans, tempeh, curry….YOU NAME IT!
I believe in eating an avocado a day…if not two. I can’t get enough of them and put avocados on EVERYTHING!! They are superfoods and our bodies love them! Hence the whole avocado per Millet Breakfast Hash bowl. I also am a huge advocate for starting your day with greens, so whether that is spinach in a smoothie, avocado toast, or Millet Breakfast Hash you are setting yourself up for success with all of those nutrients.
Here is my recipe for Millet Breakfast Hash! Treat your sweetheart to breakfast in bed or have girlfriends over for a brunch picnic!
Millet Breakfast HashPrint
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet potato
- 2-4 avocados
- 2 handfuls of spinach, optional
- 1 1/2 c. uncooked millet
- 2 t. vegetable bouillon
- 2 t. minced garlic
- 2 t. paprika (I like the smoked version)
- 1 c. fresh parsley
- 1 t. chili powder
- A drizzle of avocado oil, for cooking
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop the sweet potato into 1/2 inch squares. Line a baking pan with tin foil. Place the sweet potatoes on the foil. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of oil. Bake until soft- approximately 30 minutes.
- Cook Millet: In a pot boil 3 cups of water. Once boiling add 1 1/2 cups of millet and vegetable bouillon. Stir. Cover and simmer until the water is fully absorbed.
- While the millet and sweet potatoes are cooking. Chop the onion and cauliflower and place in frying pan.
- Drizzle the cauliflower and onion with oil. Add the spices and 3 teaspoons of water. Sauté over medium heat. As it cooks add 2 tsp. of water at a time to keep it from sticking to the pan. Sauté for 10-15 minutes.
- Turn the burner on medium-low. After the cauliflower and onion are cooked, add the kale. Cover with lid for 3 minutes. Stir. If the kale isn’t breaking down cover it again. Stir. Do this until the kale starts to cook down.
- Add the spinach. Continue folding over to break down the spinach.
- By this time the sweet potato and millet should be finished cooking.
- Grab a bowl and assemble your Millet Breakfast Hash. Place millet on the bottom with kale on top. Add the sweet potatoes and avocado.